Monday, April 19, 2010

Fifty Years!



On Saturday, I flew out to Littleton, CO to celebrate the 50th Wedding Anniversary of my Uncle Glenn and Aunt Barb. It was short (I returned Sunday morning), but amazingly sweet.-- THANK YOU to my super star hubby who not only encouraged me to go by booking my flight; he also held down the fort, AND I returned to a clean home. My Uncle Glenn and Aunt Barb didn't just celebrate 50 years of matrimony, they celebrated 50 years of love for God, one another, family and others. They're both incredible people. I was born in Colorado and had the blessing of being close (geographically) to my Uncle G and Aunt B until we moved out to California the fall of my first grade school year. They've made it to all of my school graduations, my wedding, and important events in my family's lives. As my two cousins, Beth and Trish, shared about their parents' lives, I couldn't help but shed a few joyful tears. Thinking of all the people they have impacted really overwhelmed me. Uncle Glenn is a spectacular Christ follower, husband, and dad. Aunt B is a wife and woman of noble character. They have touched SO many lives and their 50th anniversary was an exciting day for so many.

Here are a few things that stick out in my mind about this wonderful couple that just celebrated 50 years...
- Uncle Glenn quotes and knows Bible scripture more than anyone I know... he doesn't just say the words, he lives them too.
- Aunt B warmly welcomes all into her home and as Uncle G always says, "She's a good cooker and a good looker".
- I LOVE how Uncle G always brags about his wife and his family... When I got to their home before the party, he gave me a big bear hug and said, "We're so happy you could make it. We're celebrating our FIRST fifty years" (Okay, I'm tearing up again...).
- They are awesome grandparents. To my knowledge, they have made it to almost all of their grandkids (they have 6 from ages 10-18) events (soccer games, races, dance recitals, plays, etc.).
- They love Jesus and they love people. They're not perfect, there have been some really rough times for their family, but they have built a legacy of amazing love.

So, that's it. I could go on and on about sweet memories and how much respect and love I have for Uncle G and Aunt B, but I'll stop at this. A verse that my Uncle G tells me almost every time I see him...

It is good to give thanks to the LORD,
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning,
And Your faithfulness every night, (Psalm 92:1-2)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

J, I am so glad that you went this weekend! I agree Aunt B & Uncle G are amazing.