Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Giving Challenge


South Bay Church recently finished a Financial Freedom series. The messages were some of the best that I've heard regarding money. Our pastor challenged us to take a Giving Challenge. Starting on February 21, Andy challenged us to give more than we currently give for the next 90 days. As an encouragement, he sent us a book, The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn.

Here's what's happened so far in our Giving Challenge:


- Read the Treasure Principle - learned some good stuff: Specifically (1) My heart always goes where I put God's money, (2) Giving is the only antidote for materialism, (3) God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but my standard of giving, (4) Inheritance- I'm re-thinking the whole leave a lot to your kids, and moving into an investment in God's kingdom NOW mentality. This doesn't mean we won't leave our children some type of modest inheritance (or save for their college, our retirement, etc.), but it does mean that I realize loving my kids and being wise with my money involves showing my kids how to give big... I want to leave a legacy of giving.
- Jackson and I decided to give $126 extra this month to certain ministry organizations. Almost simultaneously, we received a $150 deduction on rent for being inconvenienced by things that are annoying, but cost us no money. Will this happen every time we give? I doubt it, but this was certainly encouraging.
- Jackson got his pink slip. At the same time, he heard that he definitely has 60% of his job for this next fall. This would mean no benefits, but at least 60% of his salary. While we don't know exactly what God has planned for Jackson job-wise, we have more peace giving and knowing God will provide.
- We're dreaming and strategically planning of how we can be financially free one day. It is my prayer and desire that Jackson and I will one day be able to volunteer full time (maybe on staff at a church or similar) to share Christ's love with our community. This would mean a lot of saving and wise investments, but I believe this can happen.

I want to live to give...


No comments: