Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Meet Mrs. Perdue





The time has come...I am going to be a teacher. I will really be Mrs. Perdue. I am still semi-crossing my fingers that I will get an internship (a.k.a. a paid job versus being some other teacher's indentured servant), although I am simply excited to get into the classroom. Right now, I'm slated to student teach 3rd grade at an elementary school in northern Fremont and then either Kindergarten or 1st grade at an elementary school in the Mission district of Fremont. After that, I'll have my credential and will be an official teacher in the beautiful State of California.


When I went to get my undergrad at UCSB, I had no idea what I wanted to do job-wise. For awhile, I thought I wanted to be an accountant and so I majored in Business Economics and Communication. I loved my time in college. I met amazing friends, and fell more in love with Jesus. I did not, however, figure out what job would suit me best. Jackson and I met right after college, and I knew immediately that my priorities were (1) God, (2) Jackson, and then (3) Job. I quit my crazy commute/work overtime-all-the-time job with the promise of high pay to keep those priorities true to real life. I have officially been working at The Shed Shop (5 minute commute, 8:30-5 not-so-much-overtime) for four years. I've learned a lot in the past four years. I will save my pearls of wisdom for a future post, but I will say now that I am so happy that I am able to enter the teaching world this fall. I love teaching. I have yet to be a classroom for a full semester (well, more than one day a week), but I know it's what I am supposed to do. Next to God and my wonderful family, I truly believe that I am meant to be a teacher. I love working with kids, I'm super organized, and love learning. I am even more ecstatic that Jackson is going to be a teacher, too. This year will be rough. One of us or both of us may not have a full time position (paid job). We'll both be finishing class work and jumping through the hoops of being the 'newbie' teacher. Regardless of how tough it will be, we both can now see light at the end of the tunnel. Summers together as a family... Janelle not working every Saturday... Doing something that we're passionate about and love... Being home earlier in the evening...Having a pretty good salary and retirement situation... On July 10, 2004 I became Mrs. Perdue. Now, I'll be hearing that title more often!

No comments: