Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thank God for Modern Medicine


Dad had a heart attack late Monday morning. Mom, Dad, and their Japanese international student went to Lake Tahoe for a long weekend get away. As dad was driving to Zephyr Cove, he told us that he was sweating, had horrible chest pain, and mom shared that he looked so pale he matched his current hospital gown (it's ivory/buttercup colored material). Not good.

At first, things seemed to be fine and the news was that dad was just getting some surface treatment (IVs, simple tests, etc.). I actually thought he was not feeling well due to the altitude and extra activity. Suddenly, we found out he had to stay overnight due to some positive tests (minor heart damage being one of the things that came up 'positive' on the tests). Tuesday morning, Jackson woke me up to tell me dad was moved from the hospital in Tahoe to Mercy General in Sac. We (me, Belle, Jax- Happy 28th birthday :-), and Shannon) drove up and arrived in Sacramento in time for lunch. As an aside, two of my nurse friends have confirmed that Mercy Gen is great for heart treatment and it was encouraging that they had a department dedicated to cardiology. Yesterday afternoon, dad had an angioplasty and one heart stent was put into his heart. I'm still waiting for a call to confirm that he gets to come home today. I know that God has been with dad and us all the way, and I truly thank God for modern medicine.

Also, here are the awesome (there's lots) things about my dad, Michael Cornelio.

- He is a self taught musician. It's amazing, really. He can play the piano and guitar really well, and has never had one formal lesson.
- He's the most dependable person ever. I have a fond and recent memory of my dad dropping everything to help videotape me delivering a lesson to a 4th grade class. After the lesson, he asked if I wanted to go to lunch with him. During our lunch, he received 5 phone calls and was talking about things I've never heard of (engineer stuff). He kept putting off these important calls to just have lunch with me.
- He is a wonderful dad.
- Lots of people (including me) think he has a funny sense of humor- sometimes embarrassing if your his daughter, but he's really funny
- He loves people.
- He gives sacrificially of his time, talents, and resources.

No comments: