Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Can I Have and Do it All, Please?


I just finished reading this book by Christine Caine and I enjoyed it. More than that, I got some great 'nuggets' I want to share. The author, Chris, encourages women to know that having and doing it all is a perspective and heart issue. Here are three things that really stood out to me in this book:

1. "You must ensure you do not settle for anything less than God's ultimate purpose and plan for your life"... For me, this is huge. It's getting better with time (and age/responsibilities), but I have often run around wanting to do everything all at once.

2. "Having and doing it all is a constant process of change- a continual ebb and flow from one season to the next"... This is reassuring and just plain common sense all at once. With a preschooler, toddler, and 3 week old newborn it is not time for me to try to lead a ministry or even co-lead a group... however, as the seasons change, there will be time for this. Right now, my job and all is to take care of my husband and three beautiful daughters.

3. It's all about endurance! "... if we see... trials as opportunity for God to do great work IN us as part of the process of having and doing it all, then this will fuel us to keep going, and fill us with the strength and passion to endure and overcome". So I needed to read this quote THIS MORNING. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture, and I am not viewing this as an opportunity for God to work in me. I need and want to though, so I'll keep you posted.

Thank you for sharing this book with me, Mandy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so encouraging to me...and looks like a must read. Love you how your love for God is so inspiring to those that know you.